Old October 16th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default MFI-9HB project plane

On Oct 15, 10:05*am, Lin Light
wrote:
I recently purchased an incomplete MFI-9HB project plane.

Dear Lin,

You are one lucky devil, in my opinion. The MFI-9HomeBuilt is an
outstanding airplane. During John's tenure at Convair he contributed
to Calvin Parker's original "Jeanie's Teenie," and the 'Whistler,'
Bert Sisler's VW-powered version of the MFI-9, which lead to the
'Cygnet,' plans for which are still available from (I think) Viking
Aircraft in Wisconsin. (The 'Cygnet' is a rag & tube design so it
probably will not provide any help with your all-metal version.)

Alas, I can't answer any of your questions but I encourage you to
complete the airplane. It has proven to be a remarkably versatile
design, used as a basic trainer, glider tug, agricultural applicator
and even a military version fitted with a larger engine, fabric armor,
machine guns and hard-points on the wings for external ordinance.

Any information and input would be appreciated.

Valid information will probably come from people who have built or
operated the MFI-9, so your most likely sources will be Poland and
Scandinavia. The information you seek is out there, you simply have
to hit the right button -- to keep asking, perhaps with an attached
photo. (Many people will know the plane by names other than
'MFI-9.' )

Good luck in your search.

-R.S.Hoover

(For those not familiar with the VW-powered version, the wing is the
most outstanding feature. The main spar is Douglas Fir and each wing
panel has only three ribs. The airfoil is formed by strips of spruce
or pine applied diagonally across the ribs to form a remarkably stiff
geodetic structure.)