Old January 5th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R Leonard

Default New NavAir Changes

Ski wrote:
And I thought the Marine lineage was weird - great rundown, now when is the
pop quiz (awesome)
But let's see, if one were to do a book on Navy Squadrons the lead
identifier would be the "trade name", say
"Red Rippers" or "Sun Downers" and then the fill in chapters would be all
the unit designations and type aircraft flown by that unit

is that near right

I suppose that calling them by their names rather than designations
might make it easier, but if you say "Sun Downers," I think VF-11
where you might think VF-111; and when you say "Red Rippers" you
think VF-11 and I think VF-4 . . . all a matter of exposure. When I
was growing up "USS Yorktown" meant CV-5, the other one was always
referred to as "CV-10." Even today, when someone mentions the
carrier parked at Patriots Point SC by name, I think, "oh, you mean
CV-10" and I never associate the name with some cruiser unless
someone specifically says something like, "you know, the cruiser."

Rich