Old September 24th 19, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default gel coat

To expand on Hank's comment, we've looked carefully at a couple of heavily crazed gliders (a Grob left tied out and an LS4 that was not well maintained) under magnification. After removing the failed gelcoat, the crazing lines are still visible in the glass/epoxy. Our resident materials scientist was able to see small voids in the epoxy (a few 10s of microns deep) and few failures of the glass fiber (individual strands) at the surface level.. Think of it as very shallow "pitting" of the epoxy in the outermost glass layer. There is no sign of it penetrating deeper than that. I've heard of some shops "painting" a warm coat of epoxy into particularly bad areas and others either peeling off the outer glass layer and replacing. Never saw the need to do either of these.

p3

On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 10:49:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 10:15:43 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 9:11:31 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
How much does crazing affect Polar?

Not at all (provided that the surface is being maintained).

As far as "gelcoat cracks propagating into the structure", I'm terribly skeptical. It seems far more likely to this materials engineer that the reverse is what happened in cases where cracks in the structure have been associated with cracks in the finish. Polyester gelcoat simply isn't strong enough to provide meaningful stress concentration in the underlying structure.

T8

I have seen plenty of cases of imprinting on the top layer of the structural laminate under finish cracks. None have progressed beyond the top layer of the laminate. Some of those areas appeared to be compromised to a degree.
These areas are also a path to moisture which can degrade the laminate.
In very thin structures, like control surface trailing edges, the gelcoat does add stiffness. Finish cracks, usually just forward of the trailing edge joint are common on some types of ships. Move away from the crack and the surface is notably stiffer. Sand the gelcoat off and there usually is no underlying structural failure.
Crazing is an indication that future cracking is coming. Crazing is mostly cosmetic. Cracking is not in my experience.
FWIW
UH