Old February 18th 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Beythien[_6_]

Default IPAQ trouble - won't turn on

Am 18.02.2014 13:59, schrieb Greg Delp:
Bill,

Your name is familiar as I think I sold you the 310. The unit will have these exact symptoms also if you try to charge using any cord other than the original cord that came with an HP 310 (special HP wiring)or if you don't use the USB OTG pigtail that I provided with the unit. The details are hazy but the 310 looks for one of the USB pins to be grounded to another, if I remember correctly pins 4 and 5, or the unit will not start the charging process.

When I bought the unit the owner had just replaced the battery so it is relatively new. He hadn't found this information about the charge process so the battery wouldn't charge. I could plug in the unit for long hours get the light as you describe above and the unit would never turn on or charge. After hours of internet research I was able to find the USB OTG solution and after charging with that pigtail the unit would turn on within a few minutes and then fully charge after several hours. I used the unit for multiple hours for several use/recharge cycles to make sure the battery was ok. Then also did the tests with the extra external battery for extended inflight use. You still need to use the USB OTG pigtail for that backup battery as well or again the 310 wont start the charging process.

If you're using the USB OTG pigtail then I'm not sure what else the problem could be.

Another problem can be the lid over the battery. There is a tiny switch
near the battery, which will be pressed by the properly closed lid and
otherwise prevents HP310 operation.

CU
Frank