Old December 12th 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Looking for pictures of motorglider failures

Tests have shown that the air flow through the cowling of an airplane is
much slower than the dispersion velocity of this product.Â* I don't have
data for the Stemme, but I'd imagine it's similar.

You can't close the vents in a Stemme while the engine is running
without incurring a bill in excess of $35-40 thousand dollars.

The Stemme has a fire warning system which alarms before these tubes
release their suppressant thereby allowing the pilot to close the fuel
valve and shut down the engine.

The cost of this system is less than that of an iPhone.

I doubt this system would work in a glider with an open engine bay.

On 12/11/2019 3:38 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 3:16:32 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Several of the Stemme owners are looking at this product:
https://proteng.com/pictures/

That looks like a good solution for a closed space, but will it have a meaningful effect in an area with air forced through at high volume? Would you have a separate warning so you'd know to close the Stemme vents? Probably wouldn't work in an MG with an open engine bay (doors that don't close)?

--
Dan, 5J