Old August 7th 15, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 12:53:32 PM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Andy-

I think you mean well and speak heartfelt words (along with the whole group here)...but I also feel most of this discussion is highly subjective. I would like to see at least some data or proof.

My questions were serious and (hopefully) meaningful. I did not mean to throw you under the bus. I was hoping to get some more information on the use of FLARM at the world level. I think that conversation may be a useful one here as it is more objective (assigned tasks, smaller turn areas, more even pilots, etc).

In the U.S., I honestly don't believe that FLARM has the slightest effect on the results. Some may try their hardest, but it's just to hard to do consistently. Also, FLARM data is the norm at the World Championship level and all but one U.S. Contest in all history. If we run off and adopt "stealth mode," we once again handicap our world level pilots by "watering down" the game.

Perhaps the elite, sophisticated world gliding teams (Germany, Poland, Britian, etc) would be able to do some damage with FLARM data. But good on them because the safety based FLARM technology is equally open to all parties, so it's a level playing field. Again, I see FLARM data as small part of the overall equation. As long as it's level for all, no problem. This is my view.

That said, I have recently heard "campfire stories" of very sophisticated, coordinated use of FLARM at world championships. "Hard to believe" stuff.. As it is third hand and I was not there, I can't post it here, sorry. I have also heard the FAI is considering stealth mode requirements. So maybe there is real data out there on how this is changed results, etc. I was hoping to hear more about this and that was the reason for my questions.

I just don't hear any specifics here...I hear broad statements and assumptions.

Sorry to make you feel pinned down like that. Not my intention.

I really enjoyed meeting you at Hobbs and think you have a very bright future in soaring. I look forward to flying with you again soon!

Sean

hey sean,

i didn't feel thrown under the bus or pinned down. i was happy to elaborate on my thoughts, since i made a pretty short statement that was contradictory to what i had previously written. this discussion is interesting to me, and i'm glad to take part in it/read everyone else's opinions. on that note, I agree that it IS a subjective discussion.

sadly i can't give you more first hand knowledge of flying with flarm at the world level... YET look forward to flying with you again too!

ND