Old January 20th 05, 01:52 AM
Dave

Jay...

I love flying our 172...(love flying anything)

But I am with Mary on the invisible turn to final!

One gets used to it.. but I much prefer the low wing
aircraft..

Dave

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:20:49 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

The only difference worth noting in my opinion is the view restrictions of
each type.

IE: restricted downward view in the low wing and the opposite in the high
wing.

I've flown "uppers and lowers", and find that both have weaknesses and
strengths. In the end, I like to fly both types.

What I found interesting, though, was watching Mary test-fly Cessna 182s
back in 2002 when we were looking to sell our Warrior. She had maybe 200
hours total time at that point, but no high-wing time at all, so she was a
valid test subject on this matter.

She was impressed with the interior room of the Skylane, but, being just 5
feet tall, she found the Cessna to be too "tall" for her comfort (I.E.: the
seating and panel position restricted her forward visibility too much, even
with a pillow) -- and she absolutely despised the 182's truck-like handling
characteristics.

But in the end the real "deal killer" for a high-wing aircraft was when she
laughed out loud while flying the pattern. She just couldn't believe that
people flew a plane where the runway environment was invisible while turning
base-to-final.