Old June 23rd 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Locating device mounting

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 8:08:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Our local rigger has sewn hard points on a few parachute harnesses for us, and made pouches for the SPOT and InReach. Keeps the tracker in a good place during flight, does not interfere with parachute operation and then usable if you really need it.
Here is an example installed on a 2003 Mini Softie with PD235 square.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0nnzvffi...oftie.jpg?dl=0
Jim