Old March 21st 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Make Sailplane Racing Great Again

Tom vs. "Wilbur" capture, I think, the essence of the argument. Wilbur wants to make sailplane racing "great" (not again, because it never was) for spectators. Tom wants to make sailplane racing great for pilots. If you want a spectator sport, you need a grand prix like event, and crashes would make it even more enticing. American Ninja Sailplane Warriors. About 5 people will want to participate. If you want a participant sport, you want an event that lets pilots enjoy good flights, a nice venue, good parties, happy spouses .. and nobody really watching. There really isn't an argument here about how to get from goal to result, the argument is over goals. And, fortunately, nothing about either goal stops people from pursuing the other. So I don't know what we're fighting about. Wilbur, thanks for organizing grand prix, and good luck with it. Nothing about the existence of seniors, nephi, etc. stops you! Seniors, Nephi, Perry, etc. thanks so much to organizers for putting it on and US rules for devising a good balance between use the day fun and a reasonable race. Nothing about the existence of such events stops anyone who wants to make racing "great" again from putting on grand prixes.

John Cochrane