Old July 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc
Mark Hansen

Default IFR logging question - is this legal?

On 06/30/06 13:17, Robert M. Gary wrote:
Brad wrote:
They can't BOTH log PIC time.

Actually they can if P1 is under the hood and flying and P2 is acting
as PIC.

Oops, I don't think that's true. This was discussed here at length about
two months ago. The issue is that "acting as PIC" doesn't give a person
the right to "log PIC".

When reading the regs, I thought the pilot not flying would be able to
log PIC as a result of 61.51 (c) (e) (1) (iii). However, the overwhelming
consensus was that the specific reg referred to situations in which
the pilot not flying was a required flight crew member based on the
type certificate, and not because the pilot flying was under the hood
and not instrument rated.

The pilot flying certainly can log PIC as sole manipulator of the
controls (provided he is certificated for the class/category of
aircraft).

The pilot not flying would be able to log PIC if he was a CFI, but
that was not the case presented by the OP.

-Robert, CFII

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA