Old April 8th 05, 11:50 AM

The way I read that says that you can use an expired database for
enroute or terminal navigation (paragraph a), however you must have a
current database in order to use it for approaches (paragraph b).

That makes a lot of sense to me, and since the PTS now calls for a GPS
approach if the aircraft is equipped with one, looks like you should
have a current GPS.

If, however, you can get the DE to do the approach in VFR conditions,
then you're still VFR and he may allow you to use the expired
database.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:50:35 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

I just noticed an interesting problem with the Instrument Rating PTS. It
says:

Aircraft and Equipment Required for the Practical Test
[...] GPS equipment must [...] contain the current database.

The problem is that not all GPS units require that the database be current.
The CNX-80 AFM Supplement says:

2.3 DATABASE
The CNX80 Database Card P/N 138-0329-010 Rev. -- (or later FAA approved
version) must be installed.
a) IFR enroute and terminal navigation is prohibited unless the pilot
verifies the currency of the database or verifies each selected waypoint
for accuracy by reference to current approved data.
b) Instrument approaches using the CNX80 are prohibited unlessCNX80
approach data is verified by the pilot or crew to be current. Instrument
approaches must be accomplished in accordance with approved instrument
approach procedures that are loaded from the CNX80 database.

So, it's perfectly legal for me to fly with an expired database, as long as
I verify that the data is correct (presumably by comparison to a current
chart).