Old May 6th 04, 05:33 AM
Ralph DuBose

(B2431) wrote in message ...
From:
(Ralph DuBose)

snip

The problem with multi-wing fans is that the blades have a lot of
camber/concavity. THey are better at generating pressure than at
moving air. Serious hovercraft enthusiasts have been to make composite
replacements for better performance. Not very certified.
The new 4 stroke snow-machine motors look great except 1. Still
available only 90 hp and above. 2. I cannot afford one.

http://www89.pair.com/techinfo/MassFlow/ductbook.htm

http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~murray/projects/dfan/

http://www.bridgingworlds.com/DUCKT.HTM

Thanks for the links. The kind of ducted fan he is working with
seems quite different than what I am familiar with. Hovercraft want
better static thrust and much lower tip speeds for noise suppression..
My hovercraft has a 36 in duct, tip speeds around 500ft per sec, 65
hp, and around 250 lb. thrust.
Dan, U.S. Air Force retired