Old January 22nd 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default QF-14

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:15:47 -0800 (PST), jkochko68
wrote:

We can't secure F-14 Tomcats on a military base? I'm sure its not that
simple but to scrap a Mach 2+?
aircraft seems kind of dumb. Why not turn them into very high
performance cruise missiles or piloted
UCAVs for very high risk missions? I just see it as a waste of a great
aircraft.

JK

Why did not the US turn the F14 into QF14 drones rather than just cut
them up? How many F14's are left in the bone yard?

I see there are plans for QF-16's when the F4 supply runs low.

bob

*Too much chance of Iran getting hold of some parts...

I wonder about the Navy sometimes. Capabilities don't seem to matter
anymore. They retired the F-14 and still don't have anything that
would match an F-14 upgraded to todays standards. Quantity seems to
overide quality. An equal to the F-15, some would say it was better,
they both had equal records, neither was shot down in air-to-air
combat and both suffered two combat losses each, from sams or ground
fire.

The same with the A-6. The Navy still doesn't have one aircraft that
would match it's capabilities.