Old May 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
ShawnD2112

Al,

I just finished installing the SD-8 in my S-1. Installation was a piece of
cake except for project creep ("Weeelllll, while I'm in there, I might as
well rewire that bit...and come to think of it, I don't really like those
particular circuit breakers...and the old Narco radio's buggered so I'll put
in a handheld...etc, etc, etc for another £500). It seems to work a treat
but, funnily enough, most of what I've done since then have been
crosscountries of .5 or over and it's been no problem. Multiple flights
shorter than that I can't report on, but I know of two mates who are flying
typical Pitts sorties with an SD-8 and they don't have to use anything
additional. For the reduction in weight, cost, and simplification of
everything, it's worth it, even if you do have to buy a trickle charger for
another $20 or whatever.

Next on my shopping list is their lightweight starter.

Just my .02 worth...

Shawn
Pitts S-1D, G-BKVP

"Al MacDonald" wrote in message
Greetings,

I'm considering installing a B&C light weight alternator, SD-8 (8amp and
2500 rpm) in my Pitts. Serious weight reduction from my old
generator..... My electrical system consists of an Icom A200 that draws
practically nothing and a fuel pump that is turned on for t/o, landing and
aerobatics. With my average flight being about .4 does anyone on this
list have thoughts as to whether this will keep my battery charged or if I
have to introduce supplemental charging. I'm sure there are lots of Pitts
pilots out there who are using this alternator. Thanks for any input.

al.