Old November 18th 03, 06:20 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Clonts" wrote in message
.. .

I'm inbound on the final approach segment of the VOR-A approach at T82
(Fredericksburg Texas):

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/.../T82_vd_gA.pdf

At about 3 miles east of the airport I'm at the MDA of 2460 MSL ("766

AGL"),
mostly in a 700 foot overcast. Through a break in the clouds I clearly

see
the airport-- the visibility is about 7 miles.

I descend 166 feet and am able to remain just under the cloud deck for the
final three miles, fly the right hand pattern for runway 14 at 600 AGL,

and
land.

Was my descent to about 600 AGL (a) illegal because of 91.175c and/or some
other FAR,

By "clearly see the airport" I assume you mean the runway, as that is about
the only item in FAR 91.175(c)(3) that would seem applicable to your
scenario. If you had it in sight prior to descending below the MDA and
while you were operating below the MDA you're in compliance with FAR
91.175(c).

or (b) legal because I have now in effect "converted" to a visual
approach and/or am now in uncontrolled airspace (1 mile vis and clear of
clouds).

Not sure what you're getting at here. A visual approach is an IFR procedure
and clearance for the VOR/DME approach does not authorize a visual approach.
You can of course cancel IFR whenever you're in VFR conditions and proceed
VFR to the field.