Old September 1st 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Too Old?

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed
in the drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be
considered in keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it
would prolly be illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I
know someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and
continued to fly into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92
-- then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was
flying his Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental
companies wouldn't rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Yeah, and why not. I think Pappy chalk operated commercially into his
80's, for instance.

OTOH, I know a pilot who died suddenly just the other day at 47...

A commercial one too...

Bertie