Old February 27th 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 12:07:49 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
maanantai 26. helmikuuta 2018 21.12.23 UTC+2 Darryl Ramm kirjoitti:
Name one where it is not.

Sorry but with "light test" you have no clue of the turtle deck material. Why an earth would factories go trough massive pain and expense of laying up turtledeck using different material instead of just rolling up carbon/kevlar? Instruments and their antennas tend to reside in the instrument panel.. Routing GPS antennas to behind pilots back, who does this, and why would factories be interested in this? Please give some reference to glass turtledeck in carbon fuselage, anything will do. RF transparence is different thing, antenna on the hat shelf sees sky trough canopy as I stated earlier.

An ASH26E has an all carbon fuselage but a fiberglass turtle deck. As does every other AS glider I have ever seen (20, 24, 25, 29, 31, etc.). Every Ventus and Discus I have ever seen has a fiberglass turtle deck. Ditto every DG and Lak. Rather, please point to a composite glider that does not. In a Pilatus, Schweizer, or Blanik you will have some trouble as they are aluminum.