Old June 27th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Unpaved Landing areas

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:54:13 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote in
:

I used to fly my Johnson Rocket out of Frazier Lake, which is the only
irrigated sod airport in California.

[Interesting stories snipped]

Did you ever land at that old crushed rock strip that used to be at
the north end of the Salton Sea? The one with the big hole at the
approach end, and a white line just beyond the hole as a threshold
marker.

Or how about another gravel field, Sun Hill Ranch Airport near
Adelanto: http://www.airnav.com/airport/CA70 ?

No -- Idid not do much flying in that area. I did land at Giant Rock one
time and talked to one of the saucer people, though.