Old October 16th 04, 05:00 PM
Rich S.

"Scott" wrote in message
I need to make a specialized tool and am looking for a way to drill a 1/16"
hole EXACTLY in the center of the end of a piece of say 1/2" of 3/4" solid
aluminum rod. In other words, I am trying to make something similar to a
screwdriver using solid aluminum rod for the handle and 1/16" brass rod as
the blade.

Scott............

This may sound a bit backwards, but start with a hole and center the
aluminum around the hole.

In other words, first drill a hole in an oversized piece of rod. Try to get
it in the middle, but don't be too anal about it - just keep it straight,
not curved like a dull bit will tend to do. Either a drill press or a lathe
will work for this operation.

Then put the rod in a lathe, between centers, and drive it with a "dog".
Don't use a chuck. Turn the outside to the desired diameter. Now the outside
and the inside will be perfectly concentric. Saw off the butt end where the
dog clamped the rod to spin it. Violá . . .or Violin . . .or Viagrá.

Rich S.