Old January 10th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Confusion about when it's my navigation, and when it's ATC

wrote:

Coming into LAX a while back, I was listening on that channel. We
were cruising along nicely when I hear ATC urgently call out something
like "United 123, traffic twelve o'clock, descend immediately to
eight thousand, please expedite!" I turned to my companion and said
"hold on". A second later, we all went weightless as the plane took
an unusually sharp dive.

After we leveled off again, the captain came on the speaker and said,
"Well folks, as you can tell, we've just been given permission to
descend towards the airport."

I had a similar experience on a United flight into Little Rock AR a few
years ago. I was listening to the channel while we were on final and the
tower calls "United 456, GO AROUND GO AROUND, Aircraft on the runway."
Before the second "Go Around" had been called the engines got real loud. The
tower then told the Baron to clear the active, contact ground and call the
tower at XXX-XXXX when able.

We were own very short final. And I have no doubt the pilot saw the runway
incurrtion at the same time the tower did.