View Single Post
Old May 21st 18, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Durango, CO

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 8:23:47 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 4:33:52 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Drove by the field in Durango last summer on my way from Moriarty, NM to Montrose, CO. Almost broke my heart to see that field and runway all grown over. The long shed where the trailers and gliders were parked is still there. Good memories, though ....

Uli
'AS'

Talked with a former ride/tow pilot from there Saturday. It was for sale for some time. Owner refused offer, finally parted out the operation for what turned out to be essentially the offered amount. Local woman bought the property and turned it into a conservation easement so it will never be used again for other purposes. Surprised that the shed remained.

The former owner passed away in 2015.

Frank Whiteley

Indeed, it is now a prairie dog refuge, so when you drive by on US 550 you will see prairie dogs sticking their heads out and your will see the dirt piled up around their burrows on what was once a very nice grass runway. I am sure the prairie dogs are happy, but for a glider pilot who once flew there, it is really sad to see......Renny