Old November 30th 05, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default My Ground Loop

On 2005-11-29, Deborah McFarland wrote:
In 700 hours of flying my Luscombe, I have never used the brake for landing,
and I've landed in 25 mph direct crosswinds on pavement. We're taught never
to use brake as our airplanes are prone to flipping (and I've seen it
happen).

Some taildraggers are more prone to nosing over than others, depending
on how much of the weight is ahead of the mains on the ground. Our
Cessna 140 was very good - we coudl really use our Cleveland disk brakes
and she never showed any tendency to even lift the tail. But the big
(235hp) Pawnee at the glider club wanted to nose over if you just
breathed on the brakes.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net