Old June 27th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

Default antenna

"et" wrote in message
Is there an easy way for a novice to check an old antenna?
thanks

I assume that you don't own any sort of antenna tester, so an SWR check is
not an option. Further assuming that we are talking about a previously
known-good aircraft antenna already installed on an aircraft, you could start
with a DC continuity test. You should have continuity (low resistance) from the
connector shell to airframe ground. If it is a metal whip, you should be able
to measure continuity from the connecter center terminal to the whip. From
there, connect a portable aviation radio and see what kind of performance you
get.

Vaughn