Old September 3rd 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Airspace Question

Evan Salant wrote:

I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Immediately below the Class B floor it's Class E airspace, Class E begins at
700 AGL, it's Class G below that.

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds"?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

Could you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

Class E to the surface is designated by a dashed magenta line.