Old October 31st 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Bill Would Allow Online Flight Sharing

Hello George,

It sort of smacks of Uber, the ride sharing Internet service that is exploiting
a questionable workaround traditional taxi service. I can see where this
flight sharing idea could morph into such a thing, on the one hand.

On the other hand, I see no legal reason to restrict communication between a
pilot announcing that he is planning a flight and those who might care to ride
along and share the operating costs (as opposed to the fixed costs like
insurance, maintenance and inspections, and hangar rent). Of course, the FAA
over here has long prohibited any pilot, not employed under a Part 235 or Part
121 operation from "holding out" his services to the public. Fine line...

It would seem to me, that any pilot desiring to have a passenger accompany him
on any flight would at some point have to make his flight intentions known to
prospective passengers. I guess its the difference between conveying the
opportunity to become a passenger privately through verbal or pen-on-paper
written communication, and employing a "broadcast" medium such as the Internet
or newspaper etc...

If the bill passes, it will likely foster a revival in private general aviation
operations, and reverse the current spiral to oblivion all the government,
military, and monied interests are working hard to precipitate, IMNSHO.

Given our dysfunctional Congress, and the influence of our "fourth branch of
government," lobbyists, my crystal ball doesn't show the bill passing in my
lifetime. But, like quad-copter drones, recreational cannabis sales, and the
alternative taxi system, it could become such a burgeoning onslaught, that
resistance is futile, and government will once again have to accede to the will
of the people.

How do you see it?

Larry

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 07:07:20 +1200, george152 wrote:

On 10/31/2015 12:50 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Bill-Would-Allow-Online-Flight-Sharing-225082-1.html

I like that idea but there should be an hours flown restriction just
to keep PPL's as PPl's