Old September 13th 04, 05:24 PM
flyer

Default Operation without a transponder

I need to get a biannual transponder check. I would like to do it
October 1st instead of sometime near the end of September to get an
"extra" month the next time around. The FARs say that I can operate
without a transponder in the airspace where a Mode C transponder is
normally required by requesting an ATC deviation. I would fly the
aircraft with the transponder off, VFR, from Torrance, CA airport to
Hawthorne, CA airport, about 4 miles away where the pitot static and
transponder check is to be made. The pitot static test is not a
problem as it is only required to be current if the aircraft is to be
flown under IFR.

The FAR text regarding flight without an "operable" transponder is:
(d) ATC authorized deviations. Requests for ATC authorized
deviations
must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the
concerned
airspace within the time periods specified as follows:
(1) For operation of an aircraft with an operating transponder but
without
operating automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a
Mode C
capability, the request may be made at any time.
(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder
to the
airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops,
or to
proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the
request
may be made at any time.

I would be requesting under (d) (2). It I take off from Torrance
Airport that is Class C airspace, I guess that would be the immediate
ATC jusrisdiction. But I am also under the Class B airspace of LAX
where a transponder is also required. It it sufficient to get an O.K.
from Torrance tower?