Old January 19th 05, 09:28 PM
Mark James Boyd

COLIN LAMB wrote:
had ELTs and transponders. In both cases, the aircraft was found by luck
and/or good guesswork.

The ELT is not bullet proof. I believe it is likely to survive a crash if
the pilot does, but no more. The installation is also critical. For
example, with a remote antenna, the coax cable could be severed in a crash,
rendering the entire system useless.

Colin N12HS (Yamhill County Sheriffs Search and Rescue)

One of the reasons I wear my ELT across my chest and activate it before
outlandings is for all of these reasons. Plus I can take it in any
aircraft. I also carry handheld radio and cell phone.

Installed ELTs and radios seem really much more delicate than
the personal ELT or handheld radios. And certainly seem
somewhat more delicate than humans. I'd rather have a more
surviveable ELT with my little tiny battery and antenna than
an installed one that will have the coax severed and battery case
crushed.

If my personal ELT is destroyed, then it means my harness broke and
my body is dismembered and obliterated. Yes, it may take
a month for some hiker to wander over my body, but hey, I
wouldn't be in too much of a hurry anyway.

Like I said, I'm interested in cases where an installed ELT
would make the difference between life and death. Beyond that,
I'd like to know how many of these cases wouldn't be
just as solved by a personal ELT activated right before an
attempted outlanding.

I'm not so concerned about the midair/parchuting out cases.
I have yet to hear of any case where someone parachuting out
with a handheld or cell phone would have been better off
with ELT or not...
--

Mark J. Boyd