Old April 2nd 05, 07:03 AM
Marc Ramsey

Default Teflon gap seal tape...

I need to replace the flap/aileron gap seal tape on our LAK-17A. The
control surfaces are bottom hinged, and the gap was factory sealed on
the bottom with what is apparently ordinary polyethylene tape. The tape
cracks over the hinges, which I would have to patch periodically, plus
it shrinks over time, limiting control movement and increasing stick forces.

It seems like Teflon tape is the way to go. I poked around and found
multiple online sources of 1" x 18 yard Teflon PFTE tape with high
temperature silicone adhesive on one side, available in thicknesses from
..0035" (~$25/roll) to .0115" (~$75/roll). There are less readily
available variations with acrylic adhesive, along with "High Density"
PFTE (100% stretch instead of 300%). Does anyone have any idea what
thickness and type of tape would be best for my needs?

Thanks,
Marc