Old May 26th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default Selecting landout airports

I'm a member of a club that has marginal trailers for our ships. Because of this, and the multitude of small airports in our area, I usually just airport hop for cross country flights. We also have unpredictable landout options because 90% of the fields seem to be corn, which at the wrong time of the year are dangerous. So I'm looking for land and tow out airports

I'm mapping out good airports in various directions but have some questions:

1. In a standard class ship what might be the narrowest runway for landing when there are runway edge lights?

2. What about for an unassisted tow from (how narrow with runway lights)

3. Will a wing runner make much of a difference on a narrow strip

4. Turf/grass v asphalt, is one easier than the other given runway edge lights?

It's all about clipping a light.

I've also noticed from satellite views that there is often a grass parallel area located at many asphalt strips, but no way of knowing if these are landable.