Old September 9th 03, 03:53 PM
Cy Galley

If it was on a Cessna 170, then ...
Propeller
(a)
McCauley 1A170
33 lb.
(-39)
Static r.p.m. at max. permissible throttle setting:
Landplane: Not over 2330, not under 2230
Seaplane (Models 170A and 170B): Not over 2525, not under 2300.
No additional tolerance permitted.
Diameter: Not over 76 in., not under 74.5 in.
Propeller spinner, dwg. No. 0550101-3
-eligible-
Propeller spinner, dwg. No. 0550162
2 lb.
(-39)
(-39)
(-39)
So you current length should be O.K. The problem of prop shortening I believe was when they chopped several inches below the minimum approved length.

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
A year or so ago there was a thread about shortened aluminum prop blades,
especially on Sensenich props, going into flutter and departing O-320's.
And I recall that Rich Shankland decided not to use the bargain prop he had
bought for his Emeraude.

Now here's an aluminum McCauley which was originally 76" and is now 75.188.
In other words 13/32" have been removed from each blade, reducing its
diameter by 13/16".

It seems ac 43.13A, McCauley, or the tcds ought to say something about this
and the limits a prop may be shortened but I haven't found it yet. Anybody
know if this prop would be legal on a certified aircraft with a Continental
O-300? Or can direct us to the pertinent specs?
Thanks.