Old July 28th 03, 11:00 PM
Craig Freeman

Default Using Plasma Rope For Winch Tows

We recently converted from 3/16 7x9 cable to 3/16 plasma rope on our winch.
"Plasma", made from Honeywell "Spectra" fiber, seems to have some real
advantages over wire or cable. Some benifits include light weight, 11.48lbs
per thousand, (that's not much even converted to metric!!), hollow braid
(no twisting), 5000 lb breaking strength (that a lot even converted to
metric!!), 25% increase in launch heights. We operate from asphalt and
it seems to be holding up wery well. Expensive? Yes! However in our
environment it promises to far outlast steel which would make it cheaper
in the long run plus the added benifits. Sorry this sounds like a commerical
I was just so tired of that !@#$@#%%^# wire. If anyone else has any experience
with this stuff is there anything we should be looking out for?

Happy Winching,
Craig-