Old May 23rd 05, 07:37 PM
Larry Dighera

On 23 May 2005 08:33:58 -0700, wrote in
.com::

Larry,

Oh, man, I think the pilot is a friend of mine. I'm trying to find
out.

Thank goodness everyone was able to walk away. The pilot could have
set it down on Goleta beach, but on Sunday there are always a lot of
beach goers out there.

If the engine had quit completely, the pilot might have been able to
slip to a landing on the remaining runway straight ahead, but the
indefinite nature of reduced power probably caused him to hope he
could take it around and land. I know I would have a difficult time
mentally committing to a crash landing if there were any hope of
avoiding it.

Do you have any further information?

Warmest regards,
Rick

This is all I have additionally:

http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/iirform.htm

** Report created 5/23/2005 Record 1
**

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 181AS Make/Model: WACO Description: O, E, GXE,
CTO
Date: 05/22/2005 Time: 2254

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N
Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: GOLETA State: CA Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON TAKEOFF, DECLARED AN EMERGENCY, ON ATTEMPTED LANDING FAILED
REACH THE RUNWAY AND IMPACTED THE WEST APPROACH END OF THE RUNWAY,
GOLETA,
CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 2
Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0
Unk:

WEATHER: 10CLR WIND 13005KT

OTHER DATA

Departed: SANTA BARBARA, CA Dep Date: 05/22/2005 Dep.
Time: 2253
Destination: SANTA BARBARA, CA Flt Plan: Wx
Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance: CLRD TO LAND

FAA FSDO: VAN NUYS, CA (WP01) Entry date:
05/23/2005