Old May 1st 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

Default Most amusing land out

Following on from Cherokee's funny thread (which I'm afraid I turned into a
discussion on the Silver badge - sorry chaps!) perhaps people would like to
share their most amusing moments after landing out off the airfield. Here's
a few of mine:

The time I set off on a Silver attempt and made about 10miles before landing
in a very small paddock behind a rather smart house. I had just completed
the essential pee when a very attractive lady in a bikini leaned over the
fence and asked if I would like cup of tea? Turned out to be the wife of a
local boss of a big firm making excavators.

Then there was the time (again on a failed Silver - I think I had six
attempts) when I landed in a very nice freshly cut hay field in North
Yorkshire on a lovely sunny afternnon, once more behind a house. There was a
very alcoholic twenty first birthday party going on in the garden to which I
was invited (I think they thought I was glidergram). I got some of them to
help me derig the glider, climbed over the fence, and by the time my
retrieve crew reached me I was feeling no pain at all.

Or the time a syndicate partner flew our Oly 2b all of two miles to the
local public park. He couldn't find a phone (no mobiles in those days) so he
just caught the local bus back to the club. The bus conductor not
surprisingly refused to go anywhere near this small chap wearing a flying
suit and carrying a parachute and a barograph who had just got on to his
bus! The park keeper was still checking the notice board with the bye laws
to see if 'landing a glider' broke any of his rules when we arrived with the
trailer. Two small boys had been bribed to look after the glider. Something
you couldn't do today I think.

Alistair Wright
Melrose
Scotland