Old May 1st 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Most amusing land out

On May 1, 11:59 am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
Alistair Wright wrote:
Following on from Cherokee's funny thread (which I'm afraid I turned into a
discussion on the Silver badge - sorry chaps!) perhaps people would like to
share their most amusing moments after landing out off the airfield. Here's
a few of mine:

My first land out was in the club Discus at the end of a a 50 km out and
return - probably my 2nd or 3rd XC. I put it down on set-aside behind a
village 5 miles from home and got offered a ride back to the field. A
club mate and I hooked up the trailer and handled the retrieve ourselves.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Several years ago, I launched in my SHK with the Cambridge Club when
they were flying from RAF Duxford. I declared a long flight, but
weakening lift meant I couldn't fly over the RAF Alconbury MATZ to the
better lift and I gradually accepted that I'd have to land in a field
behind some houses in Rushden after orbiting for 20-25 minutes. I
notified the farmer and a local couple gave me a ride into Alconbury
town. I called an Air Force friend to see if I could get a ride back
to Duxford, but he had to report to work within the hour, so I rode
the local bus from Alconbury to Duxford. The bus dropped me on the
east side of RAF Duxford and I was faced with a long walk around the
perimeter to the gate though my car and trailer were only just over
the fence a bit. As I had my parachute pack with me, I used it to
cover the barbed wire strands atop the fence and climbed on over. I
drove back to Rushden, arriving about 9pm. Thank goodness for English
summer evenings, as the light was still good. I hiked over to the
nearest pub and found two large lads to help de-rig for the prospect
of free ale. That done, I had to return to RAF Mildenhall to work at
11:30pm. In those days, petrol stations closed early, but I arrived
on time, running on fumes and sweat and went through the rear security
gate as a slightly dozy guard waved me through, then saw the 37.5ft
trailer flash by. A few minutes later a pickup with an armed security
detail arrived asking what was in the box. After my standard cruise
missile response, I showed them the glider.

Frank Whiteley