Old December 2nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Use of Anti Icing

It's not airmanship. It is required of anyone who operates Part 25
turbine aircraft. I presume it is in Part 25 somewhere. I'll leave
that for you to research. ;-)

wrote:
This is what I've always heard too. Just that some people say putting
a-ice on "just prior" to entering icing conditions is NOT good enough,
as surfaces will not be fully heated by the time icing conditions are
encountered. I can't argue with the airmanship side of that, and I'm
not. But I am inquiring if any manufacturer has specified "2 minutes
prior" or something like that.

Similarly, does far25 icing tests allow time for systems to heat up,
or were they done by turning on a ice systems "just prior" to entry of
icing coditions? Thanks Sam. Anyone else with insights?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:44:20 -0800, Sam Spade

Does anyone know of an airplane manufacturer that specifies engine or
wing anti ice systems need to be activated a set amount of time
(minutes) prior to entering icing conditions? The ones I've seen only
say "prior to entering...", but no requirement given to have it on for
a set time prior in order to heat up the surfaces.

Do far 25 rules testing provide any insights?

Stan

Any heavy iron I flew required that engine anti-ice be on within a range
of temperatures and where there was visible moisture (any cloud is
visible moisture). This policy (invoked by the aircraft manufacturers)
had nothing to do with whether you observed icing.

Wing deice is an entirely different issue. It is "deice." Engine heat
is "anti-ice."