Old July 10th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Help. Obtaining a UK Gliding License on the basis of my American License

Nowhere does it say in any of the paperwork that the medical practitioner
has to be in the UK. The medical practitioner is only signing to confirm
that the declaration made by the applicant is true so where he comes from
is immaterial.
The form and medical are only relevant to the BGA and are NOT a legal
requirement in the UK, they are only required to fly at a UK BGA club.

Why is it that some people want to complicate everything, I did say on my
original post that some jobsworth would find fault, so now you know
exactly who the jobsworth is.
The original question was about flying in the UK, not France or any of the
other countries in Europe.

The basic requirement remains, to fly a glider solo in the UK you have to
be aged 16 years or more. That is the ONLY legal requirement, there are no
others, no medical, no certificate, no licence, no talking to jobsworth.
You just need to be 16 years or older.

At 06:45 10 July 2009, Derek Copeland wrote:
I am not sure that it is quite as easy as that. The BGA self declaration
medical form countersigned by your own doctor is a requirement for the

UK
NPPL, i.e. for UK recreational pilots flying simple UK registered
aircraft, including gliders, in UK airspace. We may have a special
arrangement with the Irish, or maybe this just wasn't spotted!

At some point in the future this, or something similar, will become a
European wide arrangement under EASA, as part of a Recreational Pilots
Licence. At the moment the French won't accept my UK NPPL medical
certificate, and would require that I undergo a medical by one of their
own aviation doctors before flying there, although most of the other EC
countries will, but only if I am flying a UK registered glider. UK NPPL
holders are not even allowed to fly foreign registered aircraft in the

UK,
as my club found out when we imported a German registered towplane. It
could only be flown by pilots with full CAA or JAR medical certificates.

Obviously we will accept any recognised aviation medical certificate
issued by a National or International Aviation Authority. Otherwise it
would be a good idea to check with the BGA before coming. Their website

is
www.gliding.co.uk

Derek Copeland

At 20:31 09 July 2009, Bartek K. wrote:
The BGA rules say that your medical practitioner must sign the

relevant
form which can be downloaded from the BGA website, nowhere does it

say
that your medical practitioner has to be in the UK so get the form

signed
by your doctor in the US and that complies with the rules.

Yep, I had no problems flying solo in the UK with the form signed by
an Irish GP.

Bart