Old September 6th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Motorglider Endorsement

Like many things in aviation, what you get depends a bit on what you ask for. I've been asked to do cockpit checkout on some gliders that I've never flown. I'm smart enough to know what I don't know, so I found a knowledgeable pilot to participate (e.g. for a PIK 20B). Hopefully if you're far enough along to be buying you're own sailplane, you know a bit about what a checkout should be.

One of the reasons I like flying with a club is that (hopefully) the peer group will keep an eye out for folks who are buying too much glider for their experience.

Sorry - off topic. Oh well, it is RAS after all.

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 10:59:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I see my posting was not clear. My story tried to illustrate that a "cockpit checkout" is not well defined, and in the case of that specific CFIG, was completely misunderstood. For a useful checkout, a non-CFI pilot who is well acquainted with the model can probably do a better job than a CFI who is not.

When I got my first glider, which was an HP-14, single-seater with flaps and no spoilers, I got checked out by a CFIG in a *Cessna*, which was appropriate, since that allowed dual practice with flaps. I was also used to flying the Cessna at that time, so could demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in the use of flaps. I wonder if a powered plane (with a suitably rated CFIG) could be used for dual training for the motorglider endorsement, if a 2-seat motorglider is not available?