Old September 10th 17, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fabric covering for 2-33

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 1:27:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Would getting K&L involved help?
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:23:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 2:28:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm looking to find anyone who has done any work toward getting an approval for using Oratex on a 2-33. With the FAA field approval program gone (not officially but everything must go through engineering now) & a DER being very expensive, I'm trying to find anyone who has used the Oratex fabric process.

Chris,
We did our other 2-33 using the Stewart system. We didn't like several things about it. Would rather use the Stitts Poly Fiber method. I have been talking with the Oratex folks & the fabric is approved by the FAA for the STC uses. Unlike Poly Fiber they did not get a blanket approval to replace any other fabric system with their system. I like that it is overall lighter than other methods (especially on a glider) & that no spraying is necessary. I can do the polyfiber, but I would much rather not set up my paint booth, get out my breathing apparatus & take several days to do the spraying (& still one up with a bug or three in the paint).

I am hoping the Oratex people will work to get it approved for the 2-33.. I suspect nearly all sit outdoors & will need cover in the future. It would be to their advantage to get it on their list.