Old December 28th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Disc brakes sticking

Have you tried changing the brake fluid in the line. As in drain the
whole thing out. The reason I mention this in my plane the fluid started
to turn to jelly and actually had to be pumped out.

It all started so innocently too. Decreased brake sensitivity, worse in
cold weather. Braking required more and more force. Until it was worse
and I forced them to look further. Everybody concerned was surprised.
Perhaps this is going on with your plane, made noticable with new pads.
Some airplanes require a fluid change every five years.

John

John Clonts wrote:
My brakes have been dragging ever since I got our Cessna 210 back from annual last month. They had replaced
the pads and repacked the bearings. At first I thought it was just because of the new pads, and it should
"wear in" after a few takeoffs/landings/taxis. But last night I jacked up each and noted that it is still
dragging significantly -- taks two hands to even turn the wheel, and very difficult to pull out of the hangar.

What would cause the brakes to not release adequately? Any suggestions on diagnosing it further? Eventually I
will take it up with my mechanic, but he is in a different city and very busy, etc, etc. The brakes are easy
to get to since there are no wheel pants. BTW they are Mccauley wheels and brakes.

Also, who was it that posted a link to a great photo essay of replacing tubes and/or tires and/or brakes? I
think it was posted here within the last year, but my googling has not been successful...