Old May 19th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Mc Elligott

Default "Sound" request of vario designers, manufactures, and dealers.

Humans are far more sensitive to their sound environment than is
generally believed but because we're bathed in sound almost all the
time, we learn to reject (or tune out, if you prefer) background. And
because it's thought of as background, we might think of it as a
minor distraction, which it isn't. After long periods, sound can
become fatiguing. That's why audio manufacturers do such a brisk
business in noise cancelling headphones. Using them on a long
(airline) flight makes a remarkable difference even though noise
attenuation isn't all that large. Can't imagine they would be
practical in a glider. They'd be just one more gadget.

Beyond the vario noise, the reflective surfaces inside the glider can
make us feel like we're flying around inside a drum. My glider uses a
Cambridge LNav which can sound in-your-face so I've learned to turn
the volume down to a level where it's tolerable. Still, there ARE
other, softer electronic sounds that could be generated.

Have you tried earplugs? They wouldn't need to be the super efficient
type. You'd still hear plenty.

(Funny, isn't it, how our 'silent' sport isn't so silent?)

On May 18, 3:42*pm, Ben wrote:
In 30 something years, I have yet to hear a "pleasing" audio. Why
designers and manufactures insist on duplicating sounds heard in, God
forbid, a Level 1 trauma ER is beyond me. Audios should enhance your
soaring day and not spoil it with ..."