Old May 7th 05, 02:34 AM
Dave S

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2005 17:46:31 GMT, "R.L." wrote in
: :

the passenger who guided the plane to the ground
told officials at the airport his only previous experience controlling an
aircraft involved a few lessons piloting gliders in the late 1970s.

I'd say that passenger did a remarkable job of setting down a 24
passenger, 23,639lb empty weight with two 1,990 Hp turboprop engines
mini airliner safely.

What am I missing? The plane pictured on the Houston local news
regarding the Vegas incident was a picture of an Aero-Commander with
part of the landing gear shorn off. 24 people in that would be like
clowns in a volkswagon at the circus. High to mid wing.. didn't look
anything like a G-1.

The N number off the plane is N337DR. I read it myself off the video at
http://www.klas-tv.com/ . The FAA registry shows that it is a GULFSTREAM
AM CORP COMM DIV Model 695A. I am suspecting that the
Rockwell/aero-commander line was bought out by Gulfstream at some point
in the past, causing the Associated Press to misquote this aircraft as a
G-I. But the airplane type is clearly of Rockwell lineage.

Dave