Old November 22nd 18, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

Indeed, we have a vulture roosting area in trees quite close to Tucson Soaring Club’s airfield and I often see a few Black Vultures camping out with the larger numbers of Turkey Vultures. I believe that they also do forage on their own and there are very few (if any) Turkey Vultures in the main local Black Vulture breeding area. This is in the mountains around Kitt Peak, about halfway south to the Mexican border. I must say though, I haven't studied their eating habits, being more interested in their thermalling capabilities.

Black Vultures are reportedly found in all southern US states, including Florida.

We also have a number of other raptors, the most numerous being Red Tailed Hawks, but these don’t often fly as high as the Vultures.

Mike