Old June 1st 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying through Canadian airspace

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, (andrew m. boardman) said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
Post 9/11, you still have to be on a flight plan of some sort to cross the
border, and now you have to be talking to ATC as well.

Where does that latter requirement come from? It's news to me, and
Toronto Terminal isn't usually interested in talking to VFR arrivals.

FDC NOTAM 2/5319
[...]

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I'd like to think I knew about that the
last time it was relevant to me and have simply forgotten since. (A
couple of years ago I started dealing with this sort of thing strictly
IFR. Somewhat lazy, perhaps, but it removes many hassles. Especially
with the DC ADIZ, which can be an utter disaster VFR.)

Mind you, Toronto Terminal still didn't want to deal with me VFR (making
KIAG-CYTZ hops a couple of years ago), but the important thing for
2/5319 is talking to US ATC, which was never an issue.

[I previously posted another instantiation of this, but had a weird
newsreader glitch and it seems to have vanished. My apologies if it
turns up twice.]