Old December 5th 03, 02:33 AM

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[snip]
Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot

and
start whining louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click BANG, more

rattles,
another BANG, a big macho f..t or two, more clicks, a lot of smoke and

finally
a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing.

If you have ever been around a low bypass turbofan operating at max AB,
you'll know what a macho motor is . Your chest cavity resonates with a low
frequency rumble and the ground shakes beneath your feet. Its like taking a
shot of testosterone.

Round motors are for kids .... :-)

Mark Johnston

"I love the smell of JP-8 in the morning ..."

Well...I'll tell you what's macho...coming in for a touch and go
with four Wright R-3350's in your left hand (~15,000
horsepower)...touching down, waiting for the flaps to be reset
then the call "DRY POWER!!" and smashing it all on at a carefully
considered rate that just keeps the RPM at a constant 3000 till
it's all on. The acceleration is enough to snap you baldheaded
and it's impossible for the second engineer to stand up without
holding on because there's not enough traction for his boots to
keep him in the cockpit unless he does!! (we tried that) ..that's
macho. Too bad nobody'll have that thrill again!...damn, what
fun!...

And the silly buggers *paid* us to do that!!... (damned good
thing that they didn't know that we'd have done it for free!)...

--

-Gord.