Thread: Train Wreck
View Single Post
Old November 6th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Train Wreck

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 7:44:27 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
You guys may be mistaking behind-the-keyboard crazy Sean for the pilot. Sean loves the idea of racing assigned tasks and grand prix, and rather pointedly says so. I haven't seen any particular lack of originality and willingness to strike out on the own in the air. If anything, the opposite, Sean goes where others fear to tread. Just because he doesn't think contests should call tats (which WGC also do, increasingly) does not mean he's any worse at flying them. Not every opinion in this sport is self-interested

John Cochrane

Flying excellence is REALLY important, but it needs to be part of a larger package.
Nasty aggressive behavior, even if not face to face, is corrosive to the entire process of building a team that will succeed. When it's time to perform ,there needs to be a very strong bond for true team work to happen. This does not happen in 3 weeks on site. If you start in a hole, it is very difficult to achieve.
The importance of how the team presents itself is also hard to over emphasize. Raising funds to support a team with a demonstrated bad actor could well be next to impossible. It is hard enough without people saying "I'm not going to support a team with that person on it".
I appreciate the hard caring work of the USTC in developing this new process. I have called them to task, face to face, for the terrible job they did in letting the affected pilots, and others, know how things were changing. They looked me in the eye and vowed to do better.
Thanks to the USTC.
Let's get behind our new team.
UH
US Club Class Team 2001, 2002