Old March 16th 04, 07:30 AM
Jeff

LOL... I was just curoius as to what you did.

dont worry, I wont flame you or tell you not to fly or anything stupid like
that, was just wondering what decision you made in the heat of the moment.

Sitting back here he a nice safe house its so easy to put others down and to
say what is suppose to happen, even the big airline pilots make mistakes or
sometimes do things different then what they would do if they had time to sit
at home and arm chair quarterback it.

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

Ummm, let's just say that it was a very vivid hypothetical
Why do you ask?

-Sami

Jeff wrote:
Sami,
Did this happen to you recently and if so what did you do - Or is this a
"what if" scenario you were just going over in case?

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

Let's say your 15 miles from your home airport in VMC, not on a flight
plan. You know the area well. On your way, unforecast conditions
(snow) causes visibility to start dropping below 3 miles. Ceilings are
at 1800. You are just below the ceiling. You know the area well enough
to do a contact approach safely, even though the MSA for the area is
3000 ft MSL (2000 ft AGL).

Seems like the right thing to do in such a situation is to call ATC,
tell them your situation (although I am not sure precisely what one
would say), and ask for an on-the-fly IFR contact approach clearance.
It seems like seeking a full IFR approach causes one to go up into the
clouds and risk icing, and so would be a less safe alternative.
Opinions?

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrrow III