Old February 1st 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default bad cylinder

Denny wrote:
However, the current SMOH on your engine is not specified, nor did you
suggest how long you expect this engine to continue to run before
needing an OH... As I 'now think' I understand your post you are
looking to repair one cylinder and let the engine run until it breaks -
different ball game from overhauling the engine... For that I would
have the cylinder serviced and put it back on... That is one third to
one half the price of new (assuming, yadda yadda)

I took the cylinder to the shop that specializes in this work and
not only had a long chat, but he took apart the cylinder and showed
me the details. The decision is to repair, not buy new, not overhaul.
Engine overhaul is anticipated for this July (which is a lousy
month in the SW US for flying due to the heat).

A3B) for my starboard engine as it is beginning to oil the bottom plugs
on two cylinders (roughly 1650 hours since OH with more than 5400 since

Oil on the bottom plug was the red flag to the shop.

Overall, I'm not really that unhappy. This repair is cheaper than
another radio (which was the original problem that led to this
discovery). Altho this is the first time on the airplane, I've
been in this situation before more than once -- something relatively
minor (in the scheme of things) but very annoying caused me to
deal with the problem real soon, which in turned identified a
very serious problem that was caught early. (One with my car,
one medical).