Old September 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Guy Alcala

"Steven D. Litvintchouk" wrote:

[I'm a layperson at this, so please excuse this naive question.]

What does all that external ECM that they keep adding on to older
aircraft do to their aerodynamics? I look at a B-52 with its EVS
turrets sticking out of its nose and all those ECM antennas and other
crap sticking out of its fuselage. Or an F-111 "Wild Weasel" with that
pod high on its rudder.

What does that do to drag, handling, airspeed, etc.?

In partial answer to your question, Boyne gives the following data on the
decline of the L/D ratio:

B-52A/F: 21:1

B-52G/H (clean): 19:1

B-52G/H (12 SRAM, EVS): 17:1

B-52G/H (12 ALCM, EVS): 17.4:1 (improved pylon).

Guy