Old November 4th 18, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

Thanks everybody for the useful information.

As with everything...there are pros and cons.

In our case I feel the pros out weigh the cons by quite a bit.

We have been towing since mid June with this particular plane...no signs of overheating problems on 95F days. Yes going slower may cause heating issues...but I think we can deal with this.

That Canadian POH is an impressive manual! Not really our aircraft however....we are only 230 HP and carburetor. We have several old timers who are totally capable of testing and generating the V speeds with VG's.

Yes we purchased the 182 for the reasons you said below...It is fairly idiot proof...opens up our ability to get and train tow pilots. Spoiled by towing behind a 260 Pawnee...At first we had to "adapt" to a slightly flatter climb angle and climb rate, longer ground roll etc. Nothing too far out of the realm of reasonable though. As the weather cooled we are getting nice climb rates.

Typical of a club...we have those strongly in favor of putting on the VG's....and those strongly opposed...and many indifferent. But for now the TOWPILOTS votes are 2 for and one against! We'll see what happens

Thanks again,

Cookie

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 2:54:24 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
https://microaero.com/how-do-micro-vgs-work/

I've flown 2 C182's with and without micro generators.
I think they are well worth the money if your towing in challenging conditions.
The kit is about $1450.00 + installation which shouldn't be too much.
What George Haeh wrote is correct in my experience, the possible overheating problem towing at lower airspeeds. But if getting off the ground earlier and slower, safely, is the goal I think these things are well worth it. And pretty cheap. And they don't effect the cruise speed, the only down side is I think it makes washing and waxing the plane more difficult.

Many years ago here in Telluride we leased a C182 for a tow plane as ours was down for a new engine. Even with two oil coolers, it ran hot, we were always hitting the redline in CHT and Oil temp.
That said the C182 is great well balanced fairly idiot proof airplane, stock, as it tows OK and makes for a real XC airplane with long legs and a 160 MPH cruise speed. And you can pick up beaters cheap.
If I owned one and towed with it I'd put the VG generators on it in a heartbeat. Just makes it safer.