Old August 16th 03, 06:10 PM
Peter Duniho

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
I'm using an NEC MultiSync LCD1760v. The resolution is 1280 X 1024
and on a 17 inch screen I don't see any difference going to a higher
resolution.

What does that mean? "Going to a higher resolution", that is. Higher than
1280x1024? No, since the LCD monitor can only display the number of pixels
it has, higher than that would make no difference (and should not be
possible in any case). 1280x1024 is "higher" than some other resolution?
Well, what was the other resolution? The difference between 1024x768 and
1280x1024 is minimal. The difference between 640x480 and 1280x1024 is
significant.

Please add some meaning to that paragraph.

I have no problems with RF and this computer sets within 5 feet of a
1500 watt output HF amplifier (1.8 through 30 MHz), 3 feet from a pair
of 50 watt 144 and 440 MHz rigs, and 4 feet from a 100 watt 50 MHz rig
which gets used a lot.

I presume this is in response to my comments about the interference from the
AM radio station. For one, your wattage is FAR below what I'm dealing with.
The difference in distance doesn't change that (even ignoring the fact that
you probably have exterior antennas, so the output isn't actually 3, 4, and
5 feet away).

Also, at least with the DVI inputs, there is NO visual interference. I only
have problems with the touch-sensitive buttons on the front panel of the
monitor. Unless you also have touch-sensitive buttons on your monitor AND
have tried to use them at the exact same time one of your radios is
transmitting, your experience isn't relevant to my comments at all (even
assuming the wattage was similar, which it's not).

"In my opinion" the 17" has almost as much useful area as my 19" CRTs
which are flat screens and I'd really like to set the thing up using 3
of these 17 inchers for a realistic view.

This is one the biggest advantages to the LCD monitors. All of the screen
real estate is actually usable. The CRT measurements include a bit of
overscan area that you don't actually get to see, and so for the same size
LCD and CRT, the LCD has more viewable area. Or conversely, you get the
same viewable area with a smaller specified measurement with the LCD, than
with the CRT.

Of course if money is no object there are the 21 inch plasma displays.
Using three of those in a panoramic display would sure be realistic.
and cost about seven or eight grand.

Why bother? IMHO, plasma displays are only superior to LCD in one key
respect: they are available in larger sizes at "reasonable" prices. In the
21-inch wide-screen format, you'd be much better off with LCD. Less
expensive, and much lower power requirements (and heat output). They are
lighter too.

Pete